Diary of an emigrant

Monday, December 22, 2008

Feliz Natal

First of all, Naice and I would like to wish a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to one and all. Thanks for visiting the blog and I hope you’ll keep reading in 2009.

Now, as promised, here’s the picture of a fine example of the world’s largest beetle, titanus giganteus, photographed in our garden in December. The beetle measured just over 8 inches including its feelers, and reputedly it can break a pencil in half with its jaws (why it would want to do this is beyond me, but there we are). It even flies. We were suitably impressed.

There are also a few other photos here snapped at odd occasions over the last couple of months: an unidentified creepy crawly (answers on a postcard please…); a nice lizard snapped with the camera an hour or so before it was really snapped by Kelly; a young sloth that deigned to visit last week and hang around above our chapeu de palha for a few days; and a little tree frog who appeared next to the house.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice piccies. I was told about your blog by a friend, and I am enjoying reading about your move from the UK to Manaus. Thanks for sharing. Merry Christmas.

tcm said...

Thanks Mark - glad you like them. WIll endeavour to do better next year. Merry Christmas to you too, and have a great 2009. Clive.

Anonymous said...

hi
nice blog
I'm Tayan from Manaus...I've always wanted to know any foreigner who lives in my city

so If I can ask what do you do here?do you work for any factory or university?

TAYAN

tcm said...

Hi Tayan

Thanks for visiting. We're just taking it easy here and enjoying the Amazon. Glad you like the blog!

All the best
Clive